Thursday, March 22, 2012

butternut squash

During these transitional months when the days are getting warmer and the nights are staying cold, a warm bowl of soup is just what I'm craving.  This year my favourite kind of soup is Butternut Squash.  And I've finally tried to attempt making it on my own.  I used a recipe from my Bf's Step Mom.  She's quite the cook!

And I have to say, for my first time, it turned out pretty yummy!!

Smoky Squash Bisque

2-3 lbs orange squash (I used butternut, but you could also use turban or hubbard)
1 tbsp butter, melted
4 large cloves of garlic, cut in half
1 onion, sliced
1 large carrot, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
4 cups of chicken stock or broth (I used vegetable stock, it's what I had on hand, and makes it vegetarian friendly!)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3-4 drops of Hickory liquid smoke*
1 to 2 chopped fresh sage leaves or 1/2 tsp dried
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
fresh coriander for presentation

1. Peel, seed and cube squash.
2. Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add garlic; saute 3 minutes or until garlic is lightly browned on both sides.  Add onion, carrot and celery; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add squash, stock, cayenne and liquid smoke.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and partially cover.  Simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally.  Add sage and salt; simmer 5 more minutes.  Stir in lemon juice.
3. Puree in batches in a blender or food processor.  Taste and if needed, add more salt (soup can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days).  When ready to serve, heat soup until hot.  Ladle into bowls, garnish with a sprinkling of chopped coriander.  Makes about 6 servings. 

*Hickory liquid smoke - I didn't have any of this, nor was able to find it, nor quite knew what it was.... I put in a bit of the sauce that comes in a can of chipotle peppers in it instead.  It helped with the smokey taste. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love comments & you!